The Vice-Chancellor, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Professor Ganiyu Olatunji Olatunde has made it known to the University community that research and advancement are critical to the life of a University.
The Vice-Chancellor made this statement while he was inaugurating the committee on Research, Linkages and Advancement (RL & A) at his office on Monday, 30th October, 2017.
According to the Vice-Chancellor, advancement is about leveraging internal relationships to maximize external support. He stated that RL & A create a process to deliver the vision and strategic goals of the University, community support, opportunities to diversify income and produce better outcomes for students and researchers.
Professor Olatunde, however, acknowledged that for a University to garner such levels of support, there should be collaborative efforts that would involve all University stakeholders.
The Vice-Chancellor stated that the committee would among other things:
- Work out strategies for parents Annual Fundraising contributed on behalf of each ward annually to support the University
- Generate data base for current students and Alumni
- Institute 1% tax on all University Contractors or any person or organization engaging in business with the University.
- Inaugurate various teams in the advancement office vis Research Team (gathers information on potential and existing donors), Proposal Team (write proposals and project information), Registry Team (record and process donations received on behalf of the University and its Colleges/Faculties) and Database Team (support development of Alumni database) and Donor Relations Team (ensures that donors are appropriately thanked and stewarded).
- Nominate prominent individuals and philanthropist as members of the Advancement Board of the University for Council approval.
- Establish linkages, staff exchange, students exchange with world class and high impact universities.
- Hold trainings, workshops and seminars on the art of Grants writing and proposals for international funding.
- Establish endowment of professorial chairs in the University
- Fundrasing from donors, philanthropists and foundations
- Establishment of endowment fund and OOU foundation
Meanwhile, the Vice-Chancellor has appointed Professor Deji Agboola as the Chairman of the committee while Professor Dele Badejo, Dr. Ashidi, Dr. Ifegbesan and Dr. (Mrs.) O. T. Olayemi are members. Mr. Tunde Adekoya, Deputy Registrar, Senate is to serve as the Secretary.
Speaking at the event, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Professor (Mrs.) Ebun Oduwole said that she had confidence in the abilities of the committee members to do a satisfactory job judging from the quality and competence levels of its membership.
The Committee Chairman, Professor Agboola on behalf of the members of the committee promised that they would try their best. He assured the Vice-Chancellor that the committee would not let the University down. He, however, requested for the cooperation of the University management in order to succeed in the onerous task before the committee.